The full title of this book by Michael Port is
“Book Yourself Solid:the Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling“.
In my review at Amazon.co.uk, I gave the book a rating of Five Stars. This means I think the book is Excellent and Very Highly Recommended.
A book about marketing professional services that’s so good, I wish I’d written it myself.
Michael Port specialises in helping service professionals (accountants, business coaches and consultants, chiropractors, estate agents etc) to market themselves more effectively so that they are booked solid.
Let’s cut to the chase.
- If you are thinking about venturing out on your own as a professional service provider, buy this book. It will tell you what you need to know about marketing to become successful.
- If you are providing professional services to a small number of clients but there are more hours available in a week than you currently work, buy this book. It will give you new ideas to find new clients.
- If you already a successful service provider working all the hours you want, get this book. It will help you to develop more status so that your fee rates can be increased and help you to find ways to break out of the “fees for time” syndrome which can restrict your income.
When I read and review a business book I look for three key things:
- The book is well written. Check.
- The book introduces me to new ideas or gives me a new way of looking at currently known techniques. The book must increase my knowledge or if it is an introductory book, it must explain the ideas clearly. Check.
- The book must move me from theory into action. It is only by applying knowledge through action that your results improve. Check.
So that’s three big ticks for Book Yourself Solid.
Throughout the book you will find written exercises and links to useful resources to help you to implement the ideas. Even better, when you buy the book you learn the password to get the 90 page Book Yourself Solid workbook. This lays it all out so that you can conscientiously work through and complete the exercises and capture your thoughts. I recommend that you do it as you read the book and then print off another copy when you’ve reached the end and do it again.
I think it is great. I wish it had been written by 1995 when I first started as a professional service provider. My life could have been very different. It is well written, very easy to read, action focused and full of great ideas and actionable advice without going into tedious detail.
I only have two issues. The first is that any book that talks about marketing on the Internet can quickly become out of date because things change so quickly.
The second is that the book is criticised by some for its promotion of other services from Michael Port. I’m sensitive to this too but I didn’t think it was as blatant as many books I read by marketers. He doesn’t believe in the hard sell but he does believe that he can help you in other areas. What’s wrong with that?
I wish I’d written it myself. That’s how good it is.
There are many thousand of business books, you can see the full list of my reviews at Business Books Reviews by Paul Simister. I’ve also narrowed these down to a list of the 12 Best Business Books For Business Owners & Entrepreneurs.