The full title of this book by David C. Swaddling and Charles Miller is
“Customer Power: How to Grow Sales and Profits in a Customer-Driven Marketplace“.
In my review posted to Amazon.co.uk, I gave the book Four Stars. This means I think it is Good and Well Worth Reading.
Here is my book review.
Impressive book on customer perceived value
The book starts off by posing the question, why write another book about customers when there are already more than 900 thousand in print.
I’ve always thought it ironic how few books there are about customers when it is customers who decide whether a business will be successful. Their vote (with their money) is the only one that matters.
The book is split into three sections:
- Understanding customer perceived value (chapters 1 to 3)
- Using customer perceived value (chapters 4 to 10)
- Listening for customer perceived value (chapters 11 and 12)
The book is a very broad review of customer perceived value and what it takes to implement an effective customer perceived value strategy.
It includes a look at the potential gaps in the customer perceived value cycle:
- Research gap – the difference between customers perceptions and management assumptions.
- Strategy gap – the difference between management assumptions and the goals, priorities and strategies of the business.
- Process gap – the difference between the goals, priorities and strategies and what the business processes consistently deliver.
- Management gap – the difference between business processes and customer perceptions.
I think this is a very useful way to think about customer value issues, both why a thorough review is needed and as a guide to implementing a customer value strategy.
If you are interested in using customer value concepts in your strategic management and planning, I recommend you read Customer Power. It’s well written and will make you think about customer value in a comprehensive way so you can see where it needs to impact on your business.Business Books Reviews by Paul Simister (Please click). I've also narrowed these down to a list of the 12 Best Business Books For Business Owners & Entrepreneurs (Please click).
Get To Know Me
Paul Simister is a business coach who helps business owners who are stuck or struggling, to get unstuck. You can then start attracting, converting and keeping more customers. If your business is based in the UK and you feel stuck, get a Business SOS consultation (please click) with me to get you unstuck.Don't forget to download and read my FREE Report - The SIX Steps PROFIT Formula: The Simple Rules That Every Small Business Owner Needs To Know available to download at Six Steps Report (Please click).
- How To Understand Customer Value With The Strategy Canvas – Customer Matrix – Customer Value Attribute Map
- Use Strategy And Tactics To Achieve Your Business Vision
- Managing Customer Value by Bradley T Gale
- Strategy In Practice by Cliff Bowman
- Competitive and Corporate Strategy by Cliff Bowman and David Faulkner – 5 Stars