You will know that you need to have a competitive advantage or competitive edge as the basis for your unique selling proposition.
Are you clear on the dimensions?
For years, I talked about this as the ABCD Rule.
Your Advantage needs to be Better, Cheaper or Different.
Then I came across an article I wrote on the difference between vertical differentiation and horizontal differentiation where I went further.
I said your Advantage needs to be Better, Cheaper, Different, Easier or Faster.
This became the ABCDEF Rule.
This gives you five broad directions to think about when you are considering your customer value strategy and your customer value attribute map (also known as the strategy canvas in Blue Ocean Strategy). These will help you to be clear on which factors are your order winners and which are order qualifiers.
- Vertical Differentiation or Horizontal Differentiation?
- Key Success Factors And Their Link To Factors Of Difference
- What Customers Value – Order Winners & Qualifiers
- How To Understand Customer Value With The Strategy Canvas – Customer Matrix – Customer Value Attribute Map
- Blue Ocean Strategy Expanded Edition by W Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne – 5 Stars