The irresistible offer is an idea popularised by Mark Joyner in his book, “The Irresistible Offer: How To Sell Your Product Or Service In Three Seconds Or Less”
It builds on the old concept of the USP (standing for unique selling proposition or unique selling point).
What Is The Irresistible Offer?
According to the book…
“The Irresistible Offer is an identity-building offer central to a product, service, or company where the believable return on investment is communicated so clearly and efficiently that it’s immediately apparent you’d have to be a fool to pass it up.”
The key phrases worth emphasising are:
- identity-building offer
- believable return on investment
- you’d have to be a fool to pass it up
What Do Potential Customers Think When They Notice A Marketing Message?
According to Mark Joyner, if we pay attention to a marketing message because it’s of potential interest to us, we ask four basic questions:
- What are you trying to sell to me?
- How much?
- Why should I believe you?
- What’s in it for me?
Your job as a marketer is to answer those questions in a way that leads the potential buyer to become a customer.
Mark makes the point that you can’t push hard and sell the sizzle and ignore the sausage. That starts to sound like hype and isn’t believable.
Answering these four questions will help you to appeal to the logical part of the buyer’s brain (Q1 to Q3) and the emotional side (Q4 that wants the benefits).
How Can You Put Together The Irresistible Offer?
The Irresistible Offer has three elements:
- High ROI offer – a customer will get more value from owning your product than they would keeping their money in their pocket or buying someone else’s product
- A touchstone – a phrase that quickly explains what you’re selling, how much it costs and why the customer should buy.
- Believability – if the offer looks too good to be true, it probably is.
Get The Book
I used to recommend the book to everyone who joined my email list a few years ago because Mark was giving it away for free as part of his “get people into Simpleology” campaign.
It’s simple and quick to read.
I like it because it moves away from the tricks of persuasion back to basics.
It encourages you to answer the questions:
- What can we do for customers that are worth buying in terms of a genuine return on investment?
- How do we communicate this offer to our prospective customers?
Get To Know Me
Paul Simister is a business coach who helps business owners who are stuck or struggling with disappointing marketing, to get unstuck. You can then start attracting, converting and keeping more customers. If your business is based in the UK and you feel stuck, get a Business SOS consultation for up to 2 hours (please click) with me to get you unstuck.Don't forget to download and read my FREE Report - The SIX Steps PROFIT Formula: The Simple Rules That Every Small Business Owner Needs To Know available to download at Six Steps Report (Please click).