I was slow to realise the inner game of business owners and entrepreneurs is vital to their success.
Losing in their heads means they are not winning with customers, competitors, employees or suppliers.
Where Business Owners Can Lose The Internal Game
Common problems can be:
– no clear direction
– uncertain priorities
– fear of failure, fear of success or fear of the new, stepping outside the comfort zone
– poor concentration, chasing bright shining objects and silver bullets
– giving p too easily
– feeling guilty
– no control of the use of time
– no clear goals or plans
– building up obstacles to why they can’t do something
– jumping into a decision without thinking first, being reckless
– unable to overcome knocks and setbacks
– feeling inadequate, lacking confidence
– being too confident when the situation is uncertain
– a reluctance to think through causes and effects
– a failure to think critically or creatively
– listening to that negative voice in your head and believing what it says, other limiting beliefs
– struggling to communicate effectively
– not holding yourself accountable and accepting your own poor excuses
– being unable to trust others or unable to inspire trust in others.
No wonder business owners can struggle and get stuck. This is without knowing about accounting, understanding finance, marketing, copywriting, selling, recruiting and managing employees and the specific skills needed to operate your particular profession, trade or industry.
Where You Can Find Help
– get a friend or family member to be your mentor.
– find another business owner to become your accountability partner.
– join or even form your own mastermind.
– work with a coach or small business advisor.
It’s easier to have a strong inner game when you have someone else to lean on when things get tough and who can point you back in the right direction.
And then there are the books.
The Best Inner Game Books
You will only see the books I’ve rated at Four Stars (meaning good and well worth reading) and Five Stars (excellent and very highly recommended). Reviews of lower rated books appear on Amazon.co.uk but I haven’t brought the reviews across to my own website.
If you read my reviews, you’ll see I try to explain why I like them but also to identify any weaknesses. My job as a reviewer is to help you to find the most appropriate books rather than to help sell more books.
On that note, if you do decide to buy, I’d appreciate it if you could click through to Amazon on my links as (hopefully) I’ll earn a small referral commission.
Some of these books can be very expensive so, if you’re happy with a hard back or paperback book, take a look at the second hand options on Amazon. Personally I only buy if the condition is described as “As New” or “Very Good” unless I’m really keen and forced to drop down to “Good”.
Five Star Inner Game Books
The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey by Ken Blanchard
If you already have staff, this book helps to explain why you don’t have more time.
Profits Aren’t Everything They’re the Only Thing by George Cloutier
This isn’t a nice book but the hard-nosed financial approach gives you plenty to think about how being mice might be costing you money… a lot of money.
Think Smarter by Michael Kallett
Thinking is hard so too often, people avoid it and then make bad decisions and poor choices.
Four Star Inner Game Books
What To Do When You Are Stuck by Richard Dotts
Secrets Of The Millionaire Mind by T Harv Eker
No B.S. Time Management for Entrepreneurs by Dan Kennedy
Chase One Rabbit by Philip Kim
Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
How to Become Unstoppable by Glenn Livingston
The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur by Mike Michalowicz
SuperCoach by Michael Neill
The Halo Effect by Phil Rosenzweig
Getting Unstuck by Cara Stein
The 80/20 Rule by Ron Taylor
Meet and Grow Rich by Joe Vitale and Bill Hibbler
Other Business Book Categories That May Interest You
Business Books For Women – Business Novels – Business Planning – Business Start-Up – Coaching – Getting Unstuck – KPI & Performance Measurement – Leading Your Team – Persuasion – Profit Improvement – Social Media – Specific Niche Markets – Thinking –
Paul Simister is a business coach who helps business owners who are stuck, get unstuck. If your business is based in the UK, you can have a free Business SOS consultation with me to help you get unstuck.